toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Suck it Jesus"

I thought this was about the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I really hope someone got a video of this and it ends up on youtube. Wait, let me check for it. Nope.

I wonder how you justify religious hate speech? Pretty much if someone makes fun of your deity and your deity lets them then that is a problem for you and your deity. I'm pretty sure the maker of the universe can handle them self just fine without your help. If you make a big stink aren't you just admitting that you are concerned that your deity needs help defending them self? Do we really need laws protecting god from comedians?

Any way, gave me a good chuckle.

[digg]

2 Comments:

Blogger Uber Miguel said...

http://atheistethicist.blogspot.com/2007/09/kathy-griffin-and-comic-defense.html

Mon Sep 17, 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger evtujo said...

Thanks for the link. (I mostly skimmed it so sorry if I missed the point or am duplicating anything). I think the comedy defense is pretty silly. She's a professional comedian. She probably understands better than anyone the exact effect she was going for. She knew who was going to find this funny and who it would wound. I doubt you get as successful as she is without a pretty clear sense of these things. And it's hard to see her "don't catholics have a sense of humor" comment as anything but a purposeful additional twist of the knife. Any one who claims the it's only a joke defense is either supremely naive OR (more likely) merely continuing the joke in a mean way.

As for me I have on occassion said some mean things in this vein for comedic effect. And I've choked back a lot of things. If nothing else in this case, for me, the joy of having the phrase "Suck it Jesus" as a point of discussion sort of overshadows any discomfort this has caused anyone. :)

Mon Sep 17, 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home