toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Socrates 1, Jesus 0

A Socratic dialog with Jesus.


Jesus:
We must believe without asking for proof. We must not be doubting Thomases. If we believe in God, we will be paid back for all our trials and tribulations a thousandfold when we get to heaven.

Socrates:
You say we should believe whatever we are told, without investigating it or examining it; we should be gullible? If I did this, I should give my purse to every man on the street who promised to return it to me a thousandfold. I would be a fool to do as you say. And here you are not asking me to give mere money, but to dedicate the whole of my life to one undertaking and one purpose without ever considering the value of the undertaking. A thief demands my money by threatening my life. You demand my life by threatening me with torture and promising me paradise. I am not a meek and gullible fool to be led whither I am told by empty promises and threats.

[digg]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how come nobody ever leaves comments in this blog?

Tue Dec 12, 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger evtujo said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not nobody! Believe in yourself!

Tue Dec 12, 08:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, evtujo, are you saying I should have faith in spite of there being no scientific evidence that I'm not nobody?

Wed Dec 13, 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger evtujo said...

Matt, I dedicate today's blog entry to you. I hope it helps you with this important faith question.

Wed Dec 13, 08:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home