toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Atheist Fantasy Syndrome

"Man, if I could only sit down and talk with that guy for like a half hour I'm sure he'd see the folly of his ways. I mean how can an otherwise rational person believe in all that nonsense?"

Do you suffer from Atheist Fantasy Syndrome (AFS)? AFS is the belief that you could talk someone out of their faith with your clear logical arguments. Many people suffer from this often unrecognized disorder, but now there is help. Through my Facing Reality by Interacting with Believers (FRIB) program you will lose your misguided notion that freedom from the snare of religion is just a short friendly chat away.

Testimonials:

Mike: "I used to suffer from AFS. But now I see that I'm not going to change any minds no matter how hard I work. Thanks evtujo for showing me the light."

Joan: "I can't believe all the time I wasted. I always thought I was one more discussion away from converting them from their beliefs. Instead of arguing with believers I now just watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns. Thanks evtujo!"

Start using the FRIB program today. We guarantee results. The steps are simple:

(1) Identify a believer who you'd like to "talk some sense into". This can be someone you know or a random person on the internet. Go to (2)

(2) Identify specifically what their beliefs are and put these in a list. Order these from most to least pernicious. Go to (3)

(3) Pick top item from the list. Go to (4)

(4) Use any persuasion technique you like and start the conversation. Go to (5)

(5) Having failed but still feeling like there is a chance, go to (3) and pick next item on the list or if you are feeling a sense of despair go to (6).

(6) If you feel that you could have succeed with someone else go to (1). Other wise go to (7)

(7) You are now a graduate of the FRIB program. Welcome to enlightenment. (STOP)

(8) You succeeded in your goal of convincing someone through rational dialog. You'll note that the FRIB plan doesn't get you to this step. If you know how to get here please share with the rest of us. (Sam Harris I'm talking to you.)

NOTE: Don't be fooled by self directed conversions! Sometimes believers spontaneously convert. This may have happened to you. If you happen to be talking to someone when this occurs you may be tempted to think that this was your overwhelming reason. If so you may need to repeat the FRIB multiple times to reach the full effect.

Good luck!

[digg]

2 Comments:

Blogger Cat's Staff said...

You cannot reason a person out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.

...or as Mr. Paine put it...

"It is as useless to argue with those that have renounced the use and authority of reason as to argue with the dead." - Thomas Paine

Thu Mar 22, 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger evtujo said...

*SIGH*. I just wish I could graduate from my own program. I keep looping around... :(

Thu Mar 22, 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home