toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I think I hate Alan Watts

For some reason I was cruising around some zen links recently (this page started me off in that direction). I some how ended up on a page with Alan Watts giving a talk on The Pursuit of Pleasure. And man did I hate every minute of this. I wonder if it was just his smug voice or his absolutely atrocious cascade of non sequiturs or cutie-pie theme about how the real world is "wiggly" or I dunno.

The Way of Zen was one of my favorite books in college. It seemed so cool and deep at the time. Now if I ever read it again, I'm going to hear that voice.

Zen is dead to me now.

Labels: ,

[digg]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, seems like a pretty superficial way to come to a decision about "all of zen."

If I used that standard, I'd have to say that this blog is now completely dead to me because of the one superficial post.

Actually, it would be more like saying that blogs in general are completely dead to me now (your 1 post : 'blogosphere' :: 1 Alan Watts lecture : all of zen).

Wed Apr 18, 02:09:00 AM  
Blogger evtujo said...

"If you meet this blog on the road, kill it!"

When Kiko heard these words he was enlightened.

Wed Apr 18, 05:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zen is dead?he he,my dear friend how can zen die?can is die?can now die?can eternal die?only concepts can like all ive written,that is zen!

Tue May 08, 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger evtujo said...

Actually it was starting to recover but then your comment killed it. Goodbye zen.

Tue May 08, 09:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home