toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Good ol' H. L. Mencken

As I was browsing through one of my favorite counter-apologetics magazines I came across the following Mencken quote in this article:
I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind--that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overborne by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the human race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious....

I believe that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence for witches, and deserves no more respect.... I believe in complete freedom of thought and speech, alike for the humblest to the mightiest, and in the utmost freedom of conduct that is consistent with living in an organized society.

But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that it is better to know than to be ignorant.


I wonder how sad he'd be to see how little progress has been made since his time. Or perhaps he was too savvy about human nature to be surprised at all. Any way, Mencken is the dude. He does not need to suck it.

[digg]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home