toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Digital Theology

The Last Question

This is a story I first heard about 10 years ago but didn't get around to reading until just today. I'm really a sucker for religious fiction. OK, that's a bit vague, since it's all pretty much fiction. I'm a really interested in unique variations of religious themes and fiction that takes religious ideas to their (absurdly) logical extremes. My favorite movie on this vein in recent years was Frailty. I'm still not sure I understand why the movie was named that. Great movie nonetheless and perfectly typifies the sort of religious fantasy I find most interesting.

Back to the story above. I've had several people summarize this story to me over the years. In finally reading I see that they had subtly changed the plot and basic gist. The thing that's most memorable is the "punch line" at the end, which everyone seems to get right. I find it strange that people remember this story so inaccurately. Perhaps it's the kind of story where you want it to say a certain thing and so you just make up plot details.

Any way, enjoy. Do you have any favorite religious fantasy you think I should read/see?

Labels: , ,

[digg]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home