toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Monday, July 09, 2007

How's your God-ar?

As I was reading this article it got me thinking about my flawless sense of "god-ar". I don't know about you, but I am almost never surprised when I learn someone's religious inclinations. If I've had a chance to interact with someone for even a short while I can usually place them within a fairly accurate band of belief intensity and flavor. Maybe one in 20 surprises me a little.

About four years ago I was shocked at how badly my godar had misfired. I totally had someone pegged as a blatant unbeliever only to learn that they were very active in their church, ran their web page, blah, blah blah. But then it turned out I was totally right all along. I had no idea that Unitarian Universalist was essentially a code word for non-believer. In fact he was as hard core of an atheist as you'd care to meet. Whew. Some flavors of catholic sometimes through me off a little but in general I'm just not surprised very often.

Is it the hair cuts? Figures of speech? Fake niceness? Crippled sense of humor? I dunno.

I should work carnivals and try to make some money off my gift.

How's your god-ar?

[digg]

2 Comments:

Blogger nullifidian said...

If they open with "can I tell about jesus?" I'm onto a safe bet that it's some kind of christian.

That's as far as my godar extends.

Tue Jul 10, 01:17:00 AM  
Blogger evtujo said...

That's strange. I often begin conversations that way. :)

Tue Jul 10, 09:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home