toxic thought waste site

Theological whimsy, metaphysical larks, and other spiritually radioactive waste products.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

What's the deal with Christians and gays?

I was listening to this segment (1h:31m) today on Prime Time America (Moody Broadcasting) about a new book "Ex-Gays?". The authors report on the current research in converting gays into ex-gays using a religious approach. (Is there any other approach?)

In any case this reminded me of a question I've thought about for a long time but have never heard any where near a decent answer to: why do Christians (and Jews and Muslims) hate homosexuality so much? The answer is not "because it's in the bible". Because then we have to ask, *why* is it in the bible? And you can't just say it's cultural, because there had be a something that got anti-homosexual sentiments started in the first place. And besides there is plenty in the bible that is ignored. But for some reason people are especially eager to denounce homosexuality. So it seems like there is something pretty deep in human nature that makes it easy some how to be against homo-sexuality.

Objectively it seems like straight men should prefer that their competitors not compete for the limited pool of females.

So any way if any one knows the answer to this or has a plausible hypothesis, I'd love to hear it.

And by the way I am super not gay. I'm probably one of the least gay dudes you'll ever come across. I've never even seen another man naked. Ever. (Hmm... that sounds like I'm over compensating and trying to hide some secret feelings, better delete that last bit before hitting publ-

Labels: , ,

[digg]

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly because people are insecure in their own sexuality. It's possible to be "a little gay" and anyone who is "a little gay" may inadvertently get some strange urges they find threatening.
OH SHI! Can't have the other dudes ever find out I kinda like it, so I'll bash gays openly, then look for sex in male washrooms.

Thu Oct 04, 12:03:00 AM  
Blogger evtujo said...

Awesome. You have missed the point most elegantly.

Thu Oct 04, 07:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog today. I'm assuming you may be/are interested in the whole evolution vs. creationism debate. At any rate, check out this blog (http://www.scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/) for a scientist's musings on such subjects. You may like it if you haven't seen it already. In answer to your question, I don't think it's human nature that makes people against homosexuality. It's fear. Just like the fear that draws them to religion in the first place. Isn't is nice to think that there is heaven after earth? I daresay the alternative is scary for those people. Just dig a hole and put my in the dirt.

Fri Oct 05, 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say put me in the dirt. And no, I'm not the same anonymous as the first commenter.

Fri Oct 05, 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger evtujo said...

- Big fan of PZ. If anything I should spend *less* time reading his blog.

- When the people who wrote the bible sat down they had any number of things that bothered them to include as "god's law". Why would they pick out homosexuality as something to bother writing about. And of all the rules and restrictions in the bible why are people so eager to follow the anti-homosexual condemnations. People tend to ignore the rules about not eating shell fish or working on the sabbath....

Fri Oct 05, 10:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home